About a year ago, this was the time the JAE posting results were released. I was awakened by a text message at 6+ am, which reads "Tiew Qi Di, you are posted to Ngee Ann Polytechnic Early Childhood Education (N66)". I won't deny that it wasn't my ideal course. My first choice was Tourism and Resort Management and ECH was my 10th choice (I think). I was overwhelmed with fear, and a little disappointment. Because everyone says, in the field of early childhood education, the salary isn't high. But at that time, I comforted myself that I've been posted to the school that I want to study in, and prepared myself for my part-time job.
Orientation was alright, my OG wasn't the most hyped up or the loudest, and I wasn't really feeling the vibe actually, which kinda surprised me. As you know I'm like, always a crazy girl laughing non-stop haha. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, but it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I mean, well, maybe it's just me. Because everyone else seems like they were having lots of fun. And then, school started.
Assignments, tutorials, lectures, mel, npal... All the unfamiliar words were thrown at me one by one and I'm just like... okay what have I gotten myself into... Also, I pretty much entered this course with no one I know being in it and my closer friends all went to JC. So I was a little insecure, and a little uncomfortable. Okay, make that very. Thankfully I got myself into a clique pretty fast, and till now I'm still grateful to have them.
But these are not the main points of writing this post actually. When people started asking me which school and course I've been posted to, I'd tell them "Ngee Ann, Early Childhood Education". And most of them, especially adults, would reply with a "wow a very good course!" Which makes me super surprised because I thought many didn't think that it gives a promising future. Of course some other would go on and mention about how I could open a childcare centre/kindergarten one day and that is, guys, if I robbed the bank or kidnapped a millionaire or if I go the practical way I have to study my life away and get probably 40 years of experience. And I'm not kidding actually.
I guess first semester was pretty much like a "warm-up" period. Although I found it quite hard to keep up with all the assignments and tests and exams (because I can no longer owe homework), but it is considered pretty okay compared to now. Now it's the second semester, and my first year in this course is ending soon. And I think now I know why people think positively about this course.
In ECH, I've learned so many things that I have never even thought of. At first I'm like, uhhhhh actually I don't like kids that much *shrugs*, but guess what, it's actually not really about whether you like children or not - it's actually about the thought of wanting to make every child's childhood a meaningful one.
I've learned so much this semester, from my lecturers and tutors, from my mentor and the teachers in SJCCC. Nowadays, people like to discuss and give critics on how children are overly-pampered and dependent on others. Little did people realise that there are actually children, somewhere in this world, being abused and neglected by their parents or caregivers, just waiting for someone to save them and protect them.
I won't deny that there are times where you get tired of children. I personally don't like it when children appear selfish and self-centred, which according to Piaget, it's a normal trait. But you know, children are just children, they should be loved, protected, guided, and shaped in a way that they become good people in the future. Which is why I think everyone working in this field is undeniably powerful and admirable, because they all try their best to give each and every child the love and care that they need, and help to shape them into better people. And when I say they all try to give their best, you will never believe how far they could go. I find it really heart-warming that everyone in this field is always implementing and trying many ways to love and guide a child. And for now, I think this is what that's keeping me going.
I don't know if anyone ever realised, that every interaction a child has with you is so precious, because now, I still remember how my N2 children greeted me hello last year, on 1st of May, and how they hugged me goodbye, on 13th of August, when they were grabbing tightly to each of my thighs and jumping at the same time.
I think that's the best definition of happiness.